Skip to main content

Banner News

South Point beats Chase 88-80 in OT

Jan 23, 2020 01:35PM

By John Wilson

[email protected]

Last week the South Point basketball team lined up against the Chase Trojans in a Southwestern 2A see-saw matchup that ended in overtime.

Right from tip-off, Chase showed that they definitely came to play.

In early action, the Trojans seemed sharp while the Red Raiders were sluggish. For whatever reason, South Point was just not playing well.

At one point Chase was up 15-2 early in the game.

“We didn’t get off the bus,” South Point head coach Kody Kubbs said of the Red Raiders lackluster early effort.

While Chase definitely came out hard the Red Raiders were not about to give up. 

By halftime, South Point had turned things around and battled back enough that they went into the locker room up 37-34.

In the third, South Point was able to keep Chase in check and it looked like the Red Raiders were going to make it out of Forest City with the win.

However, the Trojans had other plans. By the end of the fourth period, the tide shifted in favor of Chase.

Like they did in the beginning of the game, Chase challenged South Point once again. It was clear that Trojans wanted this win badly.

“We were up at one point 70-63,” coach Kubbs explained. “We just did some silly stuff. We turned the ball over and took some bad shots.”

Chase was able to battle back so much so that with less than 10 seconds left in regulation the Trojans were in a position to tie the game up.

Then just like that, they did just that.

“They banked in a 3-pointer to get it to overtime with under eight seconds,” Kubbs said.

After Chase scored, the Red Raiders were unable to score again as time ran out with both teams knotted up 73-73.

After starting so slow the Red Raiders had fought back hard, only to let Chase get back in it.

While that thought may have frustrated some teams perhaps, South Point used it as motivation.

Maybe as the players took the court they looked up at the scoreboard and woke up because when overtime got underway the Red Raiders played some inspired ball. 

It looked like the Red Raiders were done playing games as they pushed on to a 88-80 overtime win.

“It was our best four minutes of the game,” coach Kubbs added. 

Logan Threatt, Cam Dyer, and Ayden Baker were South Point’s top shooters.

Threatt had 23 points while Dyer and Baker finished the game with 20 points apiece.

Senior Jacob Powell was a major contributor as well. Powell ended the night with 11 points and led the team with seven rebounds.

The win over Chase leaves the Red Raiders 11-5 overall and 4-1 in the Southwestern 2A.

This week South Point will be busy. The Red Raiders will host a Shelby squad that is undefeated in the Southwestern 2A and then go on the road to face a scrappy Burns program that is 5-9 overall but 3-3 in conference play.